Roofing is an important aspect of any home and selecting your roofing is an important decision. This is because there are many different types of roofing materials available in various designs, colors, and price ranges. We must be aware of various types of shingles available and pick the one that suits our requirements the best.
Different types of roofing are:
1.Asphalt Shingles: Asphalt Roofing shingles are great for regular homes. They are easy to install, widely available to be purchased, and are cheaper compared to other shingles. Due to its low cost and great quality and strength, it is a goto for a lot of people. They are fireproof. Nowadays, they are made up of fiberglass or other organic materials and then covered in asphalt. They have a lifespan of about 20-25 years which is pretty decent. They are available in a variety of colors and designs too. The major disadvantage is that there may be a need for replacement of shingle parts.
2. Wood shingles and shakes: Wood shingles are made from trunks of trees like cedar, pine, redwood et cetera. They have a natural beauty to it and appeal it creates. They last long if handled well. Wood shingles are usually machine cut and have smooth and clean structures whereas shakes are hand-cut and look natural and rough. They are also comparatively more costly. They have a lifespan of around 30 to 50 years and also provide better insulation from cold. One major concern is its use in places where fires can occur. Another is that over time, the wood starts to rot 0or parts of it starts to get eaten by termites.
3. Metallic roofing: The metallic roofing is quite costly when compared with other roofing solutions like wood or asphalt but they are also extremely durable with lifespans of around 50 to 100 years and sometimes even more. They are made of corrugated metal. The disadvantage is the sound or noise associated with metallic roofing. Metallic roofing often causes noise when it rains or snows, They can also get dented if something heavy falls on it. They are extremely fireproof and available in a variety of styles too.
4. Roof Tiles: Roof tiles have become quite popular nowadays due to the look and feel it provides to the house. Roof tiles are often made of clay or concrete. This is also one of the oldest types of roofing found in many parts of India and the world. They can be made into different shapes. They also keep the house cooler.; Another reason for their popularity is the traditional look it imparts to the house. They also reflect sunlight which eventually keeps your home cool and fresh. The installation cost is a bit high due to the need for extra framing required due to its weight. They have a lifetime of approximately 40 to 80 years too.
5. Composite Slates: There are two types of composite tiles the natural and synthetic variants. The synthetic variant is made up of rubber and plastic. The natural variant on the other hand have been around for centuries. They are quite effective against snow and rain and help keeps the house warm. The main issue here though is that they are extremely heavy and require frames that can support them. These slates also have lifetimes that span over 100 years and is used in many traditional homes. They are very difficult to install and only expert contractors can install them. If not installed correctly, these roofs can pose to be a problem later on due to moisture and leakage. Another hud=ge appeal for composite slates is the traditional yet luxurious look
6. Flat Roofing: They are easy to install and way less expensive compared to other roofing solutions. They look simple compared to other roofs. They need god maintenance as they are flat and sometimes leaves and other debris might block water outlets leading to clogging in rainy areas. They have a lifespan of 15 to 20 years.
Therefore, we must make a careful decision on what type of roofing we need for our house depending on the cost, look, and climate. A well-selected roof is sure to keep you out of your troubles for a very long time.